Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patience
Patience is the key with AS children, i know its not always easy being patient, but i find it gets better results, when my son gets angry, rasing my voice only aggravates the situation, but talking calm is like throwing cold over the whole episode, and my son calms down quicker.
Ditto, I also find that saying 'I am angry & upset & I dont want to talk right now' helps. The other thing I used to do when my son was younger was to try to divert his attention to something else, anything, I bet when we were out folk thought us mad, haha.
lol i do that now. the whole of my home town think i am loony as i am constantly wittering away about...loook at this look at that...wouldnt it be cool if cars were made of lego......why cant dogs laugh....etc etc

but he does stop and consider my suggestions which usually stops him from doing whatever he was doing IE escaping into road to ''feel'' the white lines.....or catching pigeons.....someone told him if he caught one he could keep it as a pet......
tinalee
(03-25-2008, 07:53 PM)Gabrielledh Wrote: Patience is the key with AS children, i know its not always easy being patient, but i find it gets better results, when my son gets angry, rasing my voice only aggravates the situation, but talking calm is like throwing cold over the whole episode, and my son calms down quicker.

Yes I think that raising your voice and losing control will aggravate the situation, but one thing my mum never did was discipline me well enough. I always behaved in front of my dad because he used to discipline me very well and still maintained calmness, but I didn't used to live with my dad. I think if my parents disciplined me better from the start, maybe I would have overcome my behavioral issues more quickly.
Truly said not only calm but when a child does any bad thing then it is the duty of parents to handle the situation tactfully and not to scold the child with or without any reason. This results into bad adverse effect both physically and mentally on them. Even doctors as well as lawyers too suggest this method to the parents.